Dr. Saidur R. Chowdhury is an Assistant Professor in Civil Engineering Department at Prince Mohammad Bin Fahd University (PMU), Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia. He completed his PhD in Environmental and Geo-environmental Engineering at Western University (UW) in Canada. His doctoral dissertation investigated the performance of different iron oxide nanoparticles and recycled waste products (e.g. Ni smelter slag) for contaminated water and site treatment. Dr Chowdhury is a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in the province of Ontario in Canada. Dr Chowdhury has over two years of Postdoctoral experience at both Western and the Simpson Environmental Corporation in Burlington, Ontario as well as University of Saskatchewan. He also worked as an Environmental Research Manager at Toronto Inspection Ltd. in Canada. He has published scientific papers in refereed journals, and international conference proceedings, as well as technical reports for different environmental consulting companies in Canada. UW has acknowledged his research contribution by honoring him with the prestigious R.M. Quigley Award (2011) for Research Excellence.
Dr Chowdhury has involved in designing remediation methods for contaminated site in Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Ontario, Canada. He is registered with the Ministry of Environment and climate change to act as a Qualified Person (QP) for Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) and treatment under Ontario Regulation 153/04. His research interests are in the general areas of environmental and geo-environmental engineering; application of nanomaterials for environmental remediation technologies; recycling waste product for environmental remediation; development of reactive media for water or wastewater treatment and resource recovery. Dr Chowdhury is also interested in studying the contaminant occurrence, fate, and transport in natural and engineered systems. His career vision is to design, analyze, and develop reactive media for environmental remediation and to propose tools for the restoration of contaminated environments.
1) Addai, M.K., Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2020). Kinetics of toxic metal uptake from water by Smelter Waste Product. Environmental Technology & Management. IJETM-285520. (Under Review). (Scopus and Q3).
2) Hassan, I., Chowdhury, S.R., Prihartato, P.K., and Razzak, S. A., (2020). Wastewater treatment using constructed wetland: current trends and future potential. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science. JEES-D-20-00063 (Under Review). ) (Scopus and Q3).
3) Chowdhury, S.R., Hassan, I., and Razzak, S.K., (2020 ). A review on micro-plastics in drinking water - removal mechanism and last decades’ application. Environmental Technology Reviews. TETR-TENT-2020-1701. (Under review) (Scopus and Q2).
4) Chowdhury, S.R., Goel, S., and Din, S., (2020). An investigation on soil and groundwater contamination and remediation in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Canada. In Preparation for Journal of Environmental Management. (Scopus and Q1).
5) Chowdhury, S.R., (2020). A review on recycling smelter slags for the site remediation technology. In Preparation for Waste Management journals (Pending manuscript) (Scopus and Q1).
b) Articles published in journals
1) Chowdhury, S.R., Yanful, E.K., (2020). An experimental study on Reactive Filter bed for Aluminium Removal from water. Water and Environment Journal. Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM). Published on May 15, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1111/wej.12584.
2) Chowdhury, S.R., Yanful, E.K., (2020). Application of recycling waste products for ex situ and in situ water treatment methods. Environmental Technology. 41(7), 878-889, DOI: 10.1080/09593330.2018.1513078. Impact factor-1.79
3) Chowdhury, S.R., Ayadat, T., Asiz, A., (2020). Rubric-based scoring for engineering senior design course assessment and grading. World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education (WTETE). 18(4). Appected on Nov 5, 2020. (Scopus and Q1).
4) Chowdhury, S.R., Alhelal, F., Alahmadi, M., Alqahtani, N., Alkhaldi, A., Asiz, A., (2020). An overview on major design constraints, impact and challenges for a wastewater treatment plant. J. Environ. Treat. Tech. 9 (1), 7-16. Accepted on Sept 4, 2020. (Scopus and Q4). https://doi.org/10.47277/JETT/9(1)16.
5) Ayadat, T., Ahmed, D., Chowdhury, S.R., Asiz, A., (2020). Measurable performance indicators of student learning outcomes: a case study. Global Journal of Engineering Education. 22 (1), 40-50. DOI. GJEE/Publish/TOCVol22No1.html. (Scopus and Q1).
6) Appels, M.W., Wall, S.N., Barbour, L., Hendry, M.J., Chowdhury, S.R., (2017). Oxidation and salt generation within reclaimed shale overburden at an oil sands mine near Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. Mine Water and the Environment. 36(4), 479-494. DOI 10.1007/s10230-017-0454-4. Impact factor-1.53 Cited by 6*
7) Chowdhury, S.R., Yanful, E.K., and Pratt, A.R., (2014). Recycling of nickel smelter slag for arsenic remediation- an experimental study. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 21, 10096–10107. Impact factor-2.757 Cited by 12*
8) Chowdhury, S.R., Yanful, E.K., and Pratt, A.R., (2012). Chemical states in XPS and Raman analysis during removal of Cr(VI) from contaminated water by mixed maghemite–magnetite nanoparticles. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 235–236, 246–256. Impact factor-4.836; Cited by 145*
9) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2013). Kinetics of cadmium (II) uptake by mixed maghemite-magnetite nanoparticles. Journal of Environmental Management. 129, 642-651. Impact factor-4.01; Cited by 38*
10) Chowdhury, S.R., Yanful, E.K., and Pratt, A.R., (2011). Arsenic removal from aqueous solutions by mixed magnetite-maghemite nanoparticles. Environmental Earth Sciences, 64 (2), 411-423. ISSN 1866-6280. Impact factor-1.76; Cited by 96*
11) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2011). Arsenic removal from aqueous solutions by adsorption on magnetite nanoparticles. Water and Environment Journal. 25(3), 429-437. Impact factor-1.134; Cited by 54*
12) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2010). Arsenic and chromium removal by mixed magnetite-maghemite nanoparticles and the effect of phosphate on removal. Journal of Environmental Management. 91(11), 2238-2247. Impact factor-4.01; Cited by 387*
13) Sharmin, R., and Chowdhury, S.R., (2016). A review on the removal of pharmaceuticals and personal care products from wastewater. International Journal of Scientific Research 5 (4), 33-35. Cited by 2*
14) Ayadat, A., Ahmed, D., Chowdhury, S.R., Asiz, A., (2020). Measurable performance indicators of student learning outcomes: a case study. Global Journal of Engineering Education. 22 (1)
15) Alam, M. J.B., Sharmin, R., Chowdhury, S.R., and Munna, G.M., (2005). Exposure of pesticides in formulating plant and associated risk: the issue of workers’ health. Bangladesh J. Environmental Science 11 (2), 315-318. BAED ISSN 15619206
16) Iqbal, M., Alam, M.J.B., Chowdhury, S. R., Sharmin, R., and Chowdhuary, R.K., (2005). Manufacturing process of cement in Chattak Cement Industry and its impacts on Surma river water quality. Bangladesh J. Environmental Science 11 (2), 284-289. BAED ISSN 15619206
17) Alam, M.J.B., Chowdhuary, R.K., Sharmin, R., Chowdhury, S.R., and Moyen, Z., (2005). Treatability of atrazine using wood charcoal. Bangladesh J. Environmental Science 11 (1), 215-219. BAED ISSN 15619206
c) Refereed Conference Proceedings
1) Salman, A., Ayadat, T., Chowdhury, S.R., Ouda, O., Ahmed, D., and Asiz, A., (2018). Analysis of Learning Outcomes Measure: A case study of Civil Engineering Department at PMU. 2nd International Conference on Emerging Research for Sustainable Economic Development (2nd ERSED-2018), Bahrain. March 06-07, 2018. ISBN: 978-969-7599-01-1.
2) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2014). A laboratory column study of arsenic transport and sorption by recycled Nickel smelter slag. Geo Regina-2014, Canadian Geotechnical Society (CGS), Regina, SK, Canada.
3) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2008). Application of nano-scale magnetite particles for arsenic contaminated groundwater remediation. Canadian Water and Wastewater Association (CWWA), 13th Canadian National Conference & 4th Policy Forum on Drinking Water Conference Proceedings. 448-468.
4) Chowdhury, S.R., Chowdhuary, R.K., Mahzuz, H.M.A., Chowdhury, M.A.I., Sharmin, R., Faruque, S.B., and Saleem, S.M., (2008). Feasibility study of a composting plant in Sylhet City. Proceedings of the National Seminar on Solid Waste Management- Waste Safe 2008. Khulna, Bangladesh.
5) Hoque, M.A., Chowdhury, S. R., and Islam, M. F., (2004). Effect of unplanned urbanization on air quality -a case study in Sylhet City. Published in International Symposium on Environmental Management (ISEM), BUET, 7-16.
6) Alam, M. J.B., Chowdhury, S.R., Reza, I., and Rahman, A.M., (2007). Management of effluent from textile industries; Proceedings of International Conference and Exhibition on Water and Wastewater Treatment (Asia Pro Eco Project INNOWA Results), 135-139.
d) Poster or Technical Presentation
1) Chowdhury, S.R., Addai, M.K., and Yanful, E.K., (2020). Toxic metals adsorption from water by recycling waste product. 6th Water Arabia Conference and Exhibition, Feb 11-13 2020. http://www.sawea.org/pdf/2020/12-February-2020/Chowdhury.pdf.
2) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2008). Application of nano-scale magnetite particles for arsenic contaminated groundwater remediation. 13th Canadian National Conference & 4th Policy Forum on Drinking Water. Canadian Water and Wastewater Association (CWWA).
3) Chowdhury, S.R., and Yanful, E.K., (2013). Application of mixed iron oxide nanoparticles for the removal of toxic heavy metals from subsurface. Environmental Health-2013, Elsevier; March 3th-6th; Boston, USA.
Current Research Projects
****Any collaboration for the scientific projects (as mentioned in the above list) is highly appreciated. Please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Member of Water Environment Federation (WEF)
- Member of Canadian Society for Civil Engineer