Dr Khan is a Mechanical Engineer with specialization in Manufacturing Engineering. He received his PhD degree from Loughborough University, UK. He has vast experience of research and development in the field of design and manufacturing engineering. His research focuses is on manufacturing process optimization of advanced materials, 3D printing and additive manufacturing, development of functionally graded materials and simulation of manufacturing processes. He has supervised a number of graduate and postgraduate students in their research project.
PhD (Manufacturing Engineering), MS (Mechanical Engineering), BE (Mechanical Engineering)
Dr Khan has published the research work in 55 journal papers and presented at 42 peer reviewed conferences. Selected Publications are listed below:
- M. Asad, H. Ijaz, M. Khan, A. Ali, M. Khan, M. T. Rashid, M. Usman, Comparative analyses and investigations of chamfered and honed-edge tool geometries on tool wear, chip morphology, residual stresses and end-burr formation, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 80, pp. 192–209, 2022.
- M. Khan, M. Vogel, J. Ibarra-Medina, A. J. Pinkerton, N. N’Dri, M. Megahed Analysis and Simulation of the Effect of the Melt Pool Flow During Laser Deposition of a Multiphase Material, Proceeding of 31st International Congress on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics (ICALEO), 23-27 September, Anaheim, CA, USA, ISBN: 978-0-912035-94-9, 2012.
- M. Khan and P. Dickens Selective Laser Melting (SLM) of Pure Gold for Manufacturing Dental Crowns, Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 20, Issue 6, pp. 471 479, 2014.
- Compression: Application of Bi-level Burrows Wheeler Compression Algorithm (BBWCA) to 2-D Data, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 76, Issue 10, pp. 12391-12416 , 2016.
- M. Khan and P. Dickens Selective Laser Melting of Gold, Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 81-94 , 2011.
- K. Shah, A. J Pinkerton, I. Haque, A. Khan, M. Khan and L. Li Parametric Study of Development of Inconel-Steel Functionally Graded Materials by Laser Direct Metal Deposition, Journal of Materials and Design, Vol. 54, pp. 531-538, 2013.
- M. Vogel, M. Khan, J. Ibarra-Medina, A. J Pinkerton, N. N’Dri, M. Megahed, A Verified Model of Transient and Residual Stresses in Laser Direct Metal Deposition, Proceeding of 31st International Congress on Applications of Lasers and Electro-Optics (ICALEO), 23-27 September, Anaheim, CA, USA, ISBN: 978-0-912035-94-9, 2012.
- K. Alam, M. Khan and V. V Silberschmidt, 3D Finite-Element Modelling of Drilling Cortical Bone: Temperature Analysis , Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol 34, Issue 6, pp. 618-623, 2013.
- M. Vogel, M. Khan, J. Ibarra-Medina, A. J Pinkerton, N. N’Dri, M. Megahed A Coupled Approach to Weld Pool, Phase and Residual Stress Modelling of Laser Direct Metal Deposition (LDMD) Processes, Proceedings of 2nd World Congress on Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME), The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMMMS), 7-11 July, Salt Lake Marriott Downtown at City Creek, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, Wiley-TMS, ISBN: 978-111876689, 2013.
- A. Khan, A. Ashfaq, M. Khan, M. Uzair, Lossless Image K. Alam, M. Khan, R. Muhammad , S. Z. Qamar and V. V. Silberschmidt. In-Vitro Analysis of Forces in Conventional and Ultrasonically Assisted Drilling of Bone, Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering Technlogy and Helath Care, Vol 23, Issue 6, 755-783, 2015.
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) of metallic and non-metallic materials
- Analysis of conventional metal cutting processes
- Laser Cladding Process for functionally graded materials
- Energy analysis of manufacturing processes
- Processes Simulation
- Manufacturing Process Optimization